Monday, 29 June 2009

Lincoln Embroiderers

Things have been really hectic around here just lately , everything happens at once. I don't know if it's my time management skills at fault or maybe just life. . . .

Anyway I had a great weekend away as the guest of Lincoln Bailgate Embroiderers Guild .
They made me so welcome , a lovely group, and very talented too. Have a look at the current issue of Stitch magazine, there's an article on their beautiful work based on an old manuscript.

We were making Fairy shoes, a lovely day of stitching and laughter .

Lucky Fairy who gets this pair. . . . .


They 'morphed' from this before my eyes!


Before long all these appeared.
It's great to see all the imaginative ways that these little shoes evolve.

I made sure that I had time to visit Lincoln Cathedral, what treasure there!


I just had to show a few more holiday pics.

Here's Rowan being Queen of the Castle on one of the little islands at Sandaig, Gavin Maxwell's 'Camusfearna'.

It's a magical place, quite a strange atmosphere and you can just imagine the otters playing .

The hills in the picture are on the island of Skye. Seen here wearing a fluffy, cloud hat.



Lastly, we sat one evening, watching the sun set in the north of Skye. The ridge of islands in the distance is the Outer Hebrides and sea mist rolled back and forth between.
It was so beautiful and I fell completely in love with this amazing island and it's people.

16 comments:

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

Such a treat to see more pictures of Skye. Did Rowan get to tag along with you?? What joy it would be for us to bring Edward and Apple with us on our holidays in Scotland. I simply refuse to fly them however. I mean, in the cargo hold??? Really!

I adore the fairy shoes! Only wish you could design some for me to wear. And congratulations on the upcoming television appearance. I will think all good things for you in hopes that you enjoy yourself!

Penny said...

Do hope things go well, I know all about plans going awry, a wrecked ligament in my knee after falling from our table (trying to get a book off a high shelf, not trying to fly!) Thank you so much for the photos of Lincoln, we have actually been there and it was one of the high lights of our trip, way back in'99!! Heavens almost 10 years ago.

A Bite of Country Cupcakes said...

Oh How I love your fairy shoes.
Sounds like a great time away!

femminismo said...

He's being made "redundant"? Is this a British phrase? It sounds awful, and I know it have to do with his not having a job. I'm so sorry about that. It is hard for anyone, but men especially, I think, to not have a job to go to. Women are finding that out too nowadays, what with needing two incomes to keep up. Your photos are beautiful and I would love to see the Isle of Skye one day. Oh my goodness. Do the people who live there ever get used to the beauty? And congratulations on the interview. That sounds like great things may come. The fairy shoes are beyond my word capabilities - too gorgeous, and the Lincoln Cathedral is stunning! Must see that one day too - Jeanne in Oregon (a mere 8 or 9 hours away by jet)

Heather said...

Those dear little fairy shoes - what talented students you had, and lucky ones too. Thankyou for sharing your holiday photos with us. They are so beautiful and Rowan looked very much at home there. I love the stone carvings on Lincoln Cathedral - I have never been there but it obviously warrants a visit.

Clare W said...

They are real Midsummer Fairy shoes with those lovely colours. Just gorgeous xx

Art4Sol said...

It sounds like a wonderful day! So many little fairy shoes...they always look so magical.
Always love your photos.

taylorsoutback said...

More lovely images - you capture the surroundings so well. Your Rowan looks very regal & in charge of things! Love the fairy shoes. They would have been so perfect for the midnight dance through the thyme on Summer Solstice. :o)
Thank you for sharing your journey.

acornmoon said...

I love looking at your fairy shoes and seeing how you inspire others to create them.

La Dolce Vita said...

just stumbled upon your lovely blog! your fairy shoes are simply stunning! thanks for sharing!

ruthie said...

sounds as though you had a perfectly wonderful weekend, the faerie shoes are so gorgeous! lincon cathedral looks a stunning place, i would love to visit!

KateW said...

Your fairy shoes!!!! I am utterly captivated. Is it possible to buy a finished pair?
I'd love to use them as the prize for my next fairy tale rewrite contest, to be held at diamondsandtoads.com, this December.

ruthie said...

ps; i love your wee faerie shoes so very much & hope you dont mind i felt they deserved a mention on my faerietale of inspiration blog!

Arija said...

A wonderful place with all the wonderful things you are showing us.
Are you all right? You have not blogged for a while and it has me a little worried. I hope the economic situation is not at the root of your silence.

annette emms said...

Thank you all for your lovely comments.
Arija - Bless you I'm fine , I've just been really busy and I must admit a bit concerned about all sorts, there's enough stuff going on without my adding to it!Thank you for caring.x

Savvy said...

How I love all the little elf shoes, thank you for the peak into your lovely world!