Monday, 8 June 2009

Holidays in the Highlands

We've just returned from a magical holiday in the Scottish Highlands.
Two weeks wandering and discovering this truly wonderful, wild, part of the world.
I've had so many amazing experiences,. . . . . .walking in the forest while the rain poured down, leaving our surroundings glowing with so many shades of green.
. . . . .Seeing the mist rise and curl as the sun warmed us. . . . . wandered through days on the Isle of Skye, where the clear blue sky and the earth meet and celebrate with a special kind of light,where the 'Fairies' still live

. . . . . .spent long hours at 'Camusfearna' where Gavin Maxwell lived with his otters, the land he called his 'Ring of bright water' which came from the very heart of the sea.

. . . .walked along a wooded glen where the waters of the river Croe gurgle and sing,the birch trees whisper amongst the bluebells and the Cuckoos sing all day from dawn to dusk,even the stones on the path sparkle in the sunlight.

When we got back the builders have done their work and I have a new kitchen, it's wonderful and I am so grateful. I just have to find my new washing machine and then I can start the 'big clear up'!

We came home to the news that Mike is probably going to lose his job in the next few weeks. Still a bit stunned by that news.
So for the moment I think I'll carry on dreaming of our holidays in the mountains and the glens and share a few of my pictures. . . .


On the 'Road to the Isles' from Fort William to Mallaig. The Glenfinnan monument, where Bonnie Prince Charlie gathered the clans in 1745.
Looking down from the Glen Righ forest, across Loch Linnhe to the Ardnamurchan peninsula




Loch Leven at the start of Glen Coe.



Eillean Donan Castle in Kyle of Lochalsh


Sunset over Loch Linnhe.

Just a few of my many photos , they don't do justice to the beauty, or capture the magic which is hereabouts in absolute armfulls, but they hold lovely memories.









17 comments:

lorhen82 said...

AAAAAHHHH!!! I can't even begin to tell you how I envy getting to take a trip to Scotland! It's my number one place I would love to visit. Your photos are stunning...I hope you'll share more of them! I'm so happy for you that you got to make this trip! ~Lori

femminismo said...

Oh, a lovely trip and beautiful photos. They capture the magic enough for me. So sorry to hear about your husband's job. Hope things work out for the best! Meanwhile, cherish those "absolute armfulls" of magic. - Jeanne in Oregon

Chris said...

I've always wanted to travel to this magic land. Some of my ancestors came from Scotland centuries ago. It is in my distant dreams. Wishing good days ahead to you and Mike what ever happens next.

Hermes said...

Sorry to hear about your husband - a sign of the times - but your kitchen sounds good, and that holiday was obviously really something.

Heather said...

Thankyou for sharing those wonderful holiday pics with us - it must have been amazing. Very sorry to hear about your husband's job and hope he will have better news soon. Good to have all the building work done in your absence and you can enjoy getting straight again.

Arija said...

I am so glad your holiday was so wonderful and your kitchen is a success. So many people are losing their jobs with this recession that it is frightening. I do hope it can still be avoided.
Your photos are a delight and aaah the bluebells! Scotland has so many moods and variations of light combined with the mountains, lochs and islands providing a never ending variety of wonders. A great post.

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

Truly my favourite place on planet Earth. I could never begin to describe in word the effect Glen Coe has on me. And Skye is most definitely where fairies still live.

Such a fortunate creature you are to have traveled there.

Penny said...

What stunning photos, another wish I may not see.
So sorry about your husbands job, it is a very worrying time for us all.

coral-seas said...

Sorry to hear about Mike's job. I hope he soon finds a new one.

I've only been to the lowlands and long to see the highlands and the islands. Jon is a sun lover and I have not yet been able to convince him that Scotland is not the frozen wastelands he imagines them to be.

CA

Art4Sol said...

So magical! I can feel it!

JillzWhimzy said...

How majical - what lovely photos. I've just nominated you for a blog award (Pick it up at my blog :)

ruthie said...

beautiful photos, mr o & i were up that way on a trip to sky not so many weeks ago ( i blogged it with photos 2), such a breathtaking part of the world, thank you. sorry to hear your news re job, so hope something changes for the better very soon

Susan said...

Every year's start I have said this is the one when I get to Scotland...your pictures tide me as I know this year will not be the year once again...sorry for your difficult news.

Clare W said...

Just wonderful photos. You haave inspired me to go to Scotland soon. It looks so remote.

Cat (darklingwoods) said...

Thank you for sharing these dreamy photos! so glad to see another corner of the world!

Cat (darklingwoods) said...

Thank you for sharing these dreamy photos! so glad to see another corner of the world!

She Walks In Beauty said...

Hi Annett,
You're so right, Scotland truly is a magical land. I expected Ireland to steal my heart, but no, Scotland has it. On our visit to Scotland (with two weeks of no rain) and in the context of such wild mountainous country, bagpipes and tweed made such sense! You capture it's wild nature so beautifully. I hope things work out well for Mike.