Wednesday, 20 May 2009

Secret Wales

Couldn't resist showing you these proud parents with their babies . . . and the Moorhen quietly watching.
Come with me please, on a quick tour , following the Ceiriog valley to Llanarmon Dyffryn Ceiriog.
At Chirk, the Ceiriog valley is wide, with lush meadows grazed by sheep.
Here, the Llangollen canal and the Railway viaduct cross the valley.

As we travel up the valley we pass through quiet villages and countryside. Little sign now of the bustling industry that was here.
There are fascinating glimpses though, in the industrial archeology of the area.


About 12 miles on, the valley opens up and there lies Llanarmon. It's beautiful, a thriving village , surrounded by the hills and a very special sense of peace.
At this time of year, there is an open air art exhibition, well worth seeing.

The church stands near an ancient burial mound and welcomes it's visitors with a warm atmosphere.
The same can be said for the welcome at the Hotel, where we sat in the garden and listened to the sounds of the valley as we ate.
On the return journey I saw this venerable Oak near the road. Poor Mike had to stop quickly so that I could leap out and pay homage to this ancient tree. It was huge and I could have stayed much longer. . . . .

13 comments:

acornmoon said...

What a magnificent old oak tree, I wonder what tales it could tell?

Arija said...

What lovely and very peaceful country...and sheep shall safely graze...and that trulu venerable oak, what tales it could tell...a pity you could not enjoy to much longer.
I do hope you have a lovely time on your trip.

Heather said...

Those swans and cygnets are so beautiful - wonderful views of the Welsh countryside and that amazing oak tree. Looking forward to the Highlands - have a good time.

lorhen82 said...

I can't even begin to tell you how much I envy that you get to go to these places, and when you said 'Scottish Highlands', my heart skipped a beat! Such beautiful photos!!! I can't wait to see more! ~Lori

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

Sooo many gorgeous photos here! Love the shot of the lovely Rowan. Edward sends his best, along with me!

rivergardenstudio said...

Such beautiful countryside, the hills, the old church and the bridge. And the swans are breathtaking... Roxanne

annette emms said...

Thank you all so much for your kind words!x

Chris said...

You make me long to walk in so many ancient places. Thanks for such a splendid journey!

M said...

Venerable oak tree picture is beautiful.

Ooooh....and the books on the previous posts are definately little treasures. I would gladly attend one of your workshops...bit far away at the moment though!

Candace said...

Oh my. Gorgeous site, as always, and the swans and cygnet ever so beautiful. Thank you for sharing and I found you again, through One Day At A Time.
My dad's folks were Welsh. I should visit, seriously.
Candace in Athens

taylorsoutback said...

Another lovely journey - your photos and descriptions take us along. No wonder I love rolling hills and countryside...must be from my own Welsh ancestors who came to the New World from Cardiff in the late 17th century. Their hearts must have been torn both ways to leave such a beautiful land and sail into the unknown.
Pat

She Walks In Beauty said...

What lush and glorious countryside. Thank you for my 'fix' of breath taking Wales this time. Annette, I don't know about you, but I never seem to get over the charm of old stone churches in country settings. I also like to think it is my partners lot in life (and a good 'lot' at that), to slam on the brakes so trees can be photographed. How wonderful that such ancient trees bestow such gifts of beauty.

Regards
aka Woodsprite

Susan said...

Like pages from a gorgeous coffeetable book on travel...fantastic!