Wednesday, 13 May 2009

Hidden Treasures and Secret Wales

Last weekend I spent two lovely days with Chester Embroiderers Guild.

I was teaching a two day , book making workshop , which I call Hidden Treasures.
The covers and some of the pages have hiding places for all manner of things . . . .
I am so pleased to be able to show you some of the amazing work produced . . . I learnt a lot from these talented ladies who make me feel so welcome, it's like spending the weekend with old friends.
Everyone chooses the subject for their book, then it's wonderful to see the variety of subjects. we had 'A Norfolk Holiday, Travels in the Middle East, Childhood, the story of a dear little dog and more . . .

I love watching as the ideas grow and the pages take shape.

I've been promised some pictures of the finished books (no pressure girls!) and as I've been asked back again next year I hope I'll get to see the real thing too.

***************
Mike and I decided to make the weekend into a little holiday and we stayed, once again, in the lovely grounds of Chirk Castle .
Here we have crossed over the border, into Wales.

There are walks through the estate , woodland paths and best of all the beautiful Ceiriog Valley , where you can walk or drive through 'secret Wales'.
I took these pictures on a sunny, early morning stroll, Rowan ran in crazy patterns , chasing rabbits and shadows.
The wild Garlic flowers scented the air and covered the path in places.

Soon, 'Mad legs' had to go on the lead while we walked through the parkland. She would so love to play 'chase ' with those lambs. . . .

The entrance to the estate is guarded by these gates, built in the early 18th century.



Then, it's back into the woods and a strange world of . . . .



. . . . a 'Horned Man'?


and patterns painted by the sun and the leaves. . . .







I'll stop now and next time I'll take you up the valley to Llanarmon Dyffryn Ceiriog and maybe tempt you into secret Wales. . . . .

10 comments:

Clare W said...

Yes it looks lovely and you have reminded me to pay a visit to Chirk soon - I've never been. x

Arija said...

Annette, I am so pleased to see a sign of life on your blog...it seems forever since it popped up on my automatic feed - something wrong somewhere! I see I have a lot of enjoyment ahead while catching up on the posts I missed.
Looks like a most enjoyable workshop and absolutely glorious stay on the castle grounds. I am particularly enchanted with the green shadows in your last picture.

Jules of Whimsicalnotions blog said...

Ahh to visit your blog Annette is to have an adventure and today it is my borthday so i feel very spoilt and a lovely peek here ends my lovely day.You manage to find the magic in the everyday and make us see the things that others may pass by ans miss,Thankyou

Vital Temptation said...

Annette, thank you for your comment.I fell in love with your blog.It filled with positivity, relaxation and peace.
God Bless you.

rivergardenstudio said...

What lushious greens... thanks for sharing such a lovely day. Roxanne

Heather said...

I would love to have been a student on your workshop - the books are going to be wonderful. Your photos are beautiful and very inspirational - those gates are straight out of Fairyland and the country views are idyllic.

femminismo said...

I adore the shadow of the bush against the tree trunk! What an eye you have to spot the overlooked. Your walks are good for my soul. Thank you - Jeanne in Oregon

annette emms said...

Clare - you'll love it!

Arija -Thank you sweet lady! I hope you are fully recovered now.x

Jules - thank you for all your lovely comments and I hope you had a great birthday!x

Vital Temptation - You are so kind, thank you.x

Roxanne - Isn't it great to have summer on the way. I hope all is well with you.x

Heather - hello and thank you. You are always so encouraging,bless you.x

Jeanne - what a lovely thing to say! It made me feel warm inside, all day!!x

Penny said...

Yes please, but I need a magic carpet to get there, although we are having some spectacular views here in Coffin Bay where we are on holiday.

acornmoon said...

Your hidden treasure books look so charming. I look forward to seeing the finished books in more detail.

You were in my neck of the woods, I visit Chester for bookbinding workshops. North Wales is beautiful, I know Chirk Castle but haven't visited for a while.