Wednesday, 22 April 2009

Meet the Butler.

We had a lovely few days in the Brecon Beacons.
Whilst there, I was delighted to meet 'Butler' (black coat, white bib. . . . ?), seen below in his favourite position on the table outside the pub.

The pub was our temporary 'local', the Three Horse Shoes near Brecon.
Butler manages this busy watering hole from his position at the front of the building, from where he can vet all approaching customers, human and canine.
I'm so pleased that Rowan passed muster because the food and the beer were wonderful!

We sat outside in the sunshine, listening to the Buzzards calling and looking at this beautiful view.
I was such a good girl, "no pudding for me " I said, but when the barmaid brought Mike's pudding , she winked at me and said (imagine please, the lovely Welsh accent) "Now look, I brought you two spoons, see, just in case"
Bless her.
Strawberry and rhubarb crumble, made with rhubarb from the Landlady's garden.
My word it was good.
One trip we made was to Hay on Wye, the town of books. I love this place.
Most of the shops here are book shops, selling second hand, antiquarian, rare , new, anything you could possibly want.
This is the famous Castle Book Shop. Weird eh?
Definitely full of atmosphere and so many wonders , waiting to be discovered. . .
For anyone in the market for books to alter without feeling guilty, there are plenty here, in the outside section, for 50 pence , you can rescue as many as you want!

After my bookish retail therapy we went for a walk in the nature reserve at Talgarth.
It's called Pwll y Wrach, which is Welsh for Witches pool.
The path leads along the side of the stream to a pretty waterfall. The force of the water has made a deep pool which Rowan tried her best to fall into. . .
Along the banks were lots of baby ferns, just beginning to unfurl.

Another outing, to Ystrafelte, to see more waterfalls.
It was a long walk but well worth it, I loved the Arthur Rackham trees .
When we sat down to drink our flask of tea we were joined by this lovely Thrush, who hopped to within two feet of us.


Strolling back towards the carpark, Rowan found an amazing mud wallow, mind you, I was so hot, I nearly got in it with her. . .

On our last day we took the canal towpath,it's the Brecon and Monmouth canal, very scenic.
Never very far away from it, are the laughing waters of the river Usk.


I need a rest now, to get over my holiday, if you get what I mean?

Since Easter I've been preparing everything for a two day workshop I'm teaching next month, in Chester . . . and getting on with the pieces for the summer exhibition.

The Bluebells are just coming out in the local woods, another week and they will be at their
best,.In the orchards along the riverbank, the Apple and Pear trees are showing off their blossom.
Perhaps I better take Rowan for another walk, before I settle down to some work.

15 comments:

Heather said...

What lovely photos. Our son lived in Brecon a few years ago and saw almost that same view from his kitchen window. I like the look of Butler - he looks a real character. You have visited some of my favourite places and I just love those unfurling ferns.

femminismo said...

I love the Rackham trees too! And that picture of the ferns! Magnificent. I will have to try what you've done and get down lower to the ground for a shot like that one. Our ferns are unfurling too. Oh, your trip sounds heavenly. The witches pool! Amazing. Thanks for sharing your walk.

My Mother's Garden said...

Hello Annette~
Looks as if your holiday was lots of fun! I always enjoy reading your posts and seeing your photographs. It's like an online tour.
Thank you and Happy spring~
Karrita

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

What a wonderful outing! And I have a big, fat crush on Butler!!

Arija said...

Oh other, blogger failed to alert meto two of your posts! I am miffed, hrrumph! Lovely swan, white violets, which I also wave in profusion with a six month lag time, and all those daffodils.
What a wonderful holiday you had and so nice about the second spoon.
Beautiful photos of the Welsh countryside.

How many books did you buy?

We are off to the mountains at the weekend...YaY!

A Bun Can Dance said...

How beautiful! Your photos are exquisite, in particular I love the fern and the thrush. Nature is an endless and totally addictive photography muse, isn't it? Happy days to you. Denise x

flyinamber said...

beautiful photos of interesting places again!
Butler looks such a character! :)

rivergardenstudio said...

What a wonderful journey, I love the picture of the canal and boats the best... I have never seen boats like these... or are they barges? Roxanne

Clare W said...

What amazing photos - they al,pst look Autumnul in over all colour. I love the ferns x

ruthie said...

i am loving your wonderful photos, ferns are such beautiful intricate things are they not! love the introduction to butler too!

Gina said...

Annette,
You have an enchanting blog! Your photos of the countryside, the old churches, the close-ups of Mother Nature all whisk me away from the city and concrete and the millions around me—thank you! I especially love the unfurled baby ferns—they are spirals, which I adore.

M said...

:)

Lovely to see some wonderful pictures from UK.

I lived there for 3 years and although I am loving spain (where I live at the moment) there will always be a place in my heart for the british countryside with all its mistery and nostalgia.

Thank you for sharing!

lorhen82 said...

What fantastic photos! Oh wow...to combine two of my favorite things into one...books and castles! And I've never seen ferns before they unfurl like that - very cool! You saw some really great sights...thanks for sharing them! ~Lori

annette emms said...

Thank you all so much for your comments.

Chris said...

Annette, another couple of posts full of stunning pictures of beautiful places. I alway feel as if I've walked into a fairy tale when I visit your site.