The great thing is it's relatively cheap to do and gives great results, showing all the details , so it almost looks 3D.
I like the fact that the image is matt and doesn't have a plastic finish.
You need Emulsion paint, it has to be the good quality stuff ( Cheapo won't work I'm afraid ), so I would suggest trying one of those little sample pots first.
My experiments with this method have all been with black and white photocopies , onto calico.
This is so easy. . .
- Cover the work surface with a flat sheet of polythene.Place your fabric on top of polythene.
- Spread a thin coat of paint over the fabric, to cover an area big enough for your image.
- Place photocopy face down onto paint and brayer the surface to get good contact between the image and the painted fabric.
- Leave to dry, overnight if poss., but if you're impatient like me, get the hairdryer on the job. The paint must be completely dry.
- When dry, wet the surface of the photocopy with a sponge and then gently scrape away the paper. Try using one of those plastic scouring pads. I was a bit enthusiastic with the first sample, but I quite like the distressed look.
For the second sample I made a collage using torn images of flowers (above), which I then photocopied.
When the transferred image was dry, I gave it a light wash of colour.
It seems to be quite easy to stitch into this surface, so the possibilities are endless. I'd be really interested to know if you've tried this and what sort of results you get.