Monday, 22 December 2008

Winter Solstice walk in the Wildwood

No pictures I'm afraid, but I will try to describe a very special walk we took , this weekend.

A few miles from my home is a beautiful wood, beloved my me for it's Spring flowers. It's an ancient wood, once part of Shakespeare's Forest of Arden, and a remnant of the wildwood that once covered the land.

For me, a magical place.

For Rowan, the perfect place to hunt , play and mud wallow.

It was mid afternoon when we started our walk and I had a mind to try to find the 'ancient ones', my name for a stand of old, old Lime trees that I came across some years ago.
I knew that we had to get right into the middle of the wood, my sense of direction is not good and Mike didn't think it was wise to stray too far from the well worn path. . . .
Rowan, bless her, had other plans.
These included giving chase to a deer, several rabbits and excavating a huge log from the
muddiest quagmire in England. . . then she took off, in pursuit of I don't know what.
We whistled.
We called.
We went after her. . . and deep joy, we ended up by the Lime trees!
Mike wandered off to sort out our miscreant pup and I marvelled at the awesome beauty of the trees.
They stand in a rough circle, their mighty trunks, twisted and bent. Inside the circle I noticed the light had changed , as the sun, low in the sky came out to show off.. . the most beautiful solstice sunset.
I was 'lost' in another time, there, amongst those wonderful trees, aware that the wheel of this year was slowing one last time .

As the sky darkened,we made our way back through the woods, passing a Hazel coppice . The spindly branches proudly displaying the promise of Spring, tiny catkins peeping at me in the dim light.
The wheel turns again.

18 comments:

Jolly Good Yarn Girl said...

Don't forget the camera next time - your words described the scene beautifully though. I wonder what this walk will inspire you to make?

beadbabe49 said...

Lovely description of a magical walk through the woods...thank you for painting such a beautiful picture in my mind...

Carol Stocker said...

...(sigh)...sometimes a thousand words are worth a picture... beautifully told my friend.

Jo Horswill said...

Annette...I felt myself tagging along with you the whole way...Oh that "beautiful solstice sunset", Ancient lime trees and catkins!!! I don't want to go back!!!

Peace, Love and Happy festivities to you and yours Annette,

Hermes said...

Lovely description. We have stands of trees like that nearby and they are truly magical.

Arija said...

Annette, those are the special moments in life when you become aware of beauty that takes you into an altered state or into a different dimension where time borders are distorted.
Have a most wonderful Christmas with your lovely husband, Rowan and snow!

Heather said...

Sheer magic Annette - who needs a picture? There is something special about old trees and trackways. I don't think it is just romanticism.

annette emms said...

Jolly goodyarngirl - Thanks for the comment! It was a lovely walk and I didn't think I'd need my camera, typical!

beadbabe - you are most welcome, glad you came along.

Carol - bless you and Seasons greetings to you my friend!x

Jo - I wanted to stay there too! Perhaps next time eh?

Hermes - Greetings! These old, old trees are so special. Think I must have been a druid in a past life. . .

Arija - oh yes, all that and more!Wish I could have stayed there (not all night, too scary!). Blessings and love to you and your family.
Thanks for your company over the year!x

Chris said...

Happy Christmas Annette.

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

What an exquisite description. Thank you so much for taking me along on your wonderful walk. I could almost touch the lime trees.

And I can only imagine what Edward would do if he spied a deer on one of our own walks!! I shudder to think how far I'd have to chase him.

We both send you wishes for a most Happy Christmas.

lynne h said...

oh annette... no pictures needed. i was right there with you... thank goodness dogs are more open to fairies than we humans are at times. ; ) xxoo

queenlint1 said...

Annette!

It sounds as if your Rowan was answering to the call of the Old Forest Divas who wanted to see you, too!

I think that much of what we take as happenstance is really Nature calling us back to remember our own roots!

Dina

Blue Muse said...

Boy, this spoke straight to my heart and all the things I love.

I stumbled across your blog today and I'm oh so glad that I did! I will certainly be back.

ox Isa

Gwen Buchanan said...

A truly exquisite experience... I think I would feel as if a floating soul would have emerged from me and hovered above my human form ...

rather a tingly feeling...
Annette, I Hope you are enjoying the season and a happy new year to you too...

annette emms said...

Chris - Hi! Hope you are keeping warm ,with all that snow.

Pamela - Thank you, I can imagine Rowan and Edward racing around, but oh, how muddy they would have been!

Lynne - i'm so happy that you came along, I hoped that you would because I just knew you'd love those old trees.
There is certainly a very mischevious spirit guiding Rowan!

Dina - yes, yes yes! I've come to the conclusion that a lot of the time, I'm being 'worked from elswhere!'

Isa - nice to meet you, please call again. I visited your lovely blog too, wonderful!

Gwen - That's exactly how I felt! A brief glimpse
of 'something' very special.
The wonderful thing is that I can visit in my memory whenever I want to. . .
I do hope that Christmas was a very happy time for you and may the new year bring you peace and joy.x

OzRose said...

I cant believe you havent added some of your wonderful photos to the story! Love your blog and LOVE your little pixie shoes.
Happy New Year to you and your family.

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

For Christmas, I asked my husband for one of your patterns as a stocking stuffer. He also bought me a 40 string lever harp as well! When I opened my fairy shoe pattern however, I was extremely excited and I am now going to venture on cutting the pattern today. Thank you for contributing the magic of fairies to our world! I am new to the blogging community, so please visit my blog site! Anita

annette emms said...

OzRose- why bless you!Please come back and visit again.

Anita - I am so thrilled to hear this! I hope you have as much fun making the little shoes as I have!
What a lovely husband you must have.
I have visited your enchanting blog and will visit again regularly. It's so nice to make new friends!