Tuesday, 16 December 2008

A packet full of magic.

I found a little packet , on the mat, by my front door.

A packet from my friend Fanny, who lives in the Jura mountains in France. It was a packet full of magic. . . .

First of all, I found a piece of beautiful, hand made lace tied up in red silk ribbon. I think it will make something very special . . . . .

Then I found a letter, telling me about a lovely winter walk in the Jura mountains, when the snow fell softly and covered the trees with soft white magic; the world became silent . . .

As Fanny paused a while to drink her flask of tea, she heard a sound. . . .

It was a tiny man in a crooked hat who asked her "Are you Fanny?" "Are you Fanny who has a friend in England, called Annette?"

My friend replied, "Yes, that's me."

The little man said" Vous devez lui dire que, en hiver, il faut mettre des chaussettes dans les chaussures. Les Putins et les fees ne sont pas fais de bois! Il fait aussi tres froid en Angleterre!"

(Which roughly translated means ' You must tell her that , in winter, you must put on socks with shoes. Elves and fairies are not made of wood! Also, it is cold in England!')

He gave her a box and said. . .

"Envoyez - lui!!" (Send them to her )

This is what was in the box, a tiny pair of hand knitted socks to fit in a pair of fairies shoes!


What a wonderful present!
Oh yes, Fanny also said that she would tell only me about this because no one else would believe her. . . . . . what do you think?

17 comments:

Arija said...

I can just see you sitting by the fireside with Rowan an knitting faerie socks for all you are worth, then putting on scarf and coat, with Rowan at your heels, or perhaps not since she is a free spirit, and heading into the wooods to leave little pairs of socks under likely bushes and tucked into crevices of gnarled trees. The sight warms my heart, so it does!

Heather said...

What dear little elfin socks. They are so sweet but rather rustic for your fairy shoes. We shall wait to see what you make with the lovely handmade lace. I loved Fanny's story - isn't it a shame we have to grow up?

queenlint1 said...

Absolutely brilliant!! This needs to be a pattern as well for all those thread artists out there!

Dina

Jolly Good Yarn Girl said...

Well I believe her that's for sure. Never grow up - just deal with things that seem adult as quickly as possible and then get on with the joy.

Danielle Barlow said...

Oh, how teeny tiny they are! What an enchanting gift!

Karen said...

These are so sweet! What a magical parcel!

Robyn said...

Of course it must be true! You have the elvin socks for proof.

Chris said...

What a beautiful gift you have received. Your fairy friends will be very stylish now.

acornmoon said...

How lovely, I hope you are going to hang a fairy stocking or two under your tree.

annette emms said...

Arija - Ok, I know I've lost the plot a bit here, but I'm harmless.Bless you! You're obviously as daft as me.x

Heather - Greetings!By the way,I have absolutely no intention of growing up, ever. . . .


Dina,Jollygoodyarngirl,Danielle,
Karen,Robyn,Chris and Valerie - Thank you all for your kind words.xxx

Gwen Buchanan said...

If you believe, in your heart, it is true!!!

This tale cheers me on this cold morning.. I am thrilled..
you always do this to me.. the socks so darling, the lace so special, the story so well told.. this has started my day off perfectly.. thank you for giving this warmth to me to send away the chilliness outside...

what a wonderful spirit you have..!!!!

Angelcat said...

Thise little socks are just beautiful, what a wonderful gift!

annette emms said...

Gwen - I'm so pleased that you enjoyed my bit of nonsense!
Keep warm.x
Angela - Why hello! How are you? So pleased that you came.x

Art4Sol said...

I think you are living a fairy tale!
Maybe when I make my little shoes from lovely pattern I'll capture some star dust as well.
Darlene

annette emms said...

Art4Sol - well Darlene, I reckon you've got plenty of stardust already, your work is amazing!x

lynne h said...

a gasp escaped my lips as i scrolled down to see what was in the package. fairy socks... my oh my. this fanny is a beautiful soul indeed...

the magic has jumped through the computer screen and sits smiling on my shoulder... xo

Helen Moore Sielaff said...

These are gorgeous......if only there was a pattern!