Sunday, 7 December 2008

Here we go round the Mulberry bush . . . .

Jack Frost had been busy this morning, which made me think of the nursery rhyme . . and one thing led to another . . please allow for plenty of 'artistic licence'. . .


*Here we go round the Mulberry bush , on a cold and frosty morning. . .
(no mulberries but lots of frost)
*Two little dickie birds sitting on a . . .tree?
Early morning on the riverbank, the sun not yet strong enough to burn off the mist.
Two Cormorants patiently waiting . . .

* Hickory Dickory Dock, the mouse ran up the clock. . . .
The Jubilee clock in Broadway, Worcestershire.

* Twinkle, twinkle, little star
or is it Cow Parsley?



*Little Miss Muffett, sat on a tuffett


We had to have a major de-clutter this week and I found this picture. It's me aged 2 years (circa 1954), sitting on the dining room table, . . in lieu of a tuffett. . .


This has been a really mixed week, I had to have time off work because someone 'up there' decided that my life was not sufficiently farcical. The coldest spell for ages and our central heating boiler died.
Mike was away in Scotland. . .
I won't go into detail, but replacing it was not easy or quick. . . holes in walls, floorboards up, hardly a room not in chaos, men in the garden, men on the roof. I have never been so cold, it was warmer outside than in my house for 6 days.
Now I feel really pathetic for whinging. . . it's positively tropical in here and plumbers are my favourite people. . .
On the bright side, Rowan and I had some long and lovely walks.
I also met a dear friend for lunch in Burford.
This is Anne with my daughter Rachael and Phoebe. We've been friends since I started school, aged 5 , when she showed me where the Wendy House was.
Anne and I have shared so much through the years, she was my bridesmaid and Rachael's Godmother.
This lady is a talented quilter and a wonderful friend.xxxx

Last but absolutely by no means least, I have been given an award! This has made me smile no end this week, I am honoured and thrilled to be considered worthy of it. . . especially as it was sent to me by a special lady , Lynne Hoppe. She resides in the forest, far away, in the lands across the sea and writes a moving and beautiful blog. Thank you Lynne.

(Here's the piece that comes with the award. . . modesty forbids really.. )

"This blog invests and believes the proximity-nearness in space, time and relationships! These blogs are exceedingly charming. These kind bloggers aim to find and be friends. They are not interested in prizes or self-aggrandizement. Our hope is that when the ribbons of the prizes are cut, even more friendships are propagated. Please give more attention to these writers! Deliver this award to eight bloggers, who must choose eight more and include this cleverly written text into the body of their award."

I need a bit more time to select the next recipients, so please bear with me. . .

20 comments:

lynne h said...

lol, annette! your "modesty forbids really..." has given me a good laugh!

these frost pictures are fabulous... those oak leaves, oh my goodness...

and look at you at two! so beautiful!

i'm glad your heater is fixed... i would be quite, QUITE pathetic without heat for 6 days. xxoo

Jolly Good Yarn Girl said...

What wonderful photos - thank goodness for the British seasons! I have just been looking at Paula Hewitt's Blog The Beauty of Life and they have never seen frost. Their gingerbread house melts in the heat! I can't imagine that! Also what photo program do you use for those enhancing picture frames around your photos? - they look very good, especially on your misty pondscape.

annette emms said...

Lynne - glad i made you laugh, I do try. . . .
My mum says 'looks can be decieving' apparently I looked cute at two, but really I was a mini monster. Personaly , I don't believe her but . . .

Jolly good yarn girl - Thanks! Paulas's blog is great isn't it, always most amusing!
The frames around my photos are called ttv frames (through the viewfinder). There is a link on the sidebar of Lynne Hoppe's blog (see my blogroll) to a tutorial on ttvs by Roben -Marie Smith.

acornmoon said...

Wonderful photographs especially the oak leaves, my favourites! Also the wonderful old oak tree would make a great illustration I think.

Six days without heat must have been torture. Makes me feel cold just thinking about it!

keith said...

You forgot...

" It was on a Monday morning that the gasman came to call,
The heating wouldn't turn, I wasn't getting warm at all,
He tore up all the skirting boards to try and find the main,
And I had to call the carpenter to put it back again.

Oh it all makes work for the working man to do."

Jo said...

I was eating Mullberries off a bush just yesterday!!! Annette your images are wonderful...now that's a great clock!
You at two :)
Friends & family, those smiles say it all.
Happy you are warm again! It's hard work being cold!!!!

Nan said...

I'm sitting here smiling in the mid-afternoon, utterly delighted by your posting. I loved the words, the pictures, and even the 'whinging' which must be one of the best, best British words, ever!

Heather said...

Beautiful frosty images and the lovely silhouette of those cormorants - winter has it's moments. I'm glad you have a nice warm home again - there's nothing worse in a cold spell than to have no heating. I daresay your husband was staying somewhere nice and cosy while you were freezing - they often manage to miss all the 'fun'!!

annette emms said...

Acornmoon - thanks Valerie, I did think that the oak tree was telling me something?. . .

Keith - thank you for the jolly ditty. What a wag you are. . .

Jo - I've never eaten mulberries, off a bush or any other way. Tell me, what have I missed?

Nan - I'm smiling at the thought of you smiling . . .

Heather - it was such a wonderful morning and a warm house to come back to I'm relieved to say!

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

Such beautiful pictures! The second one looks like a fairy crown.

And, congratulations on the award. Well done, and well deserved!

Beth said...

I like the pictures of your thick frost. We just returned from Ireland and I had never seen frost like that--so thick on everything. I guess due to all the moisture in the air in your part of the world? Anyway, whyever it exists, it is pretty and makes for lovely photographs.

Penny said...

What wonderful photos, we get a few frosts but not like that. down under our mulberries are just about to ripen and we look forward to summer puddings, the best way to have mulberries.

annette emms said...

Penny - that sounds just delicious!Hope your back will soon be better.x

annette emms said...

Pamela - What a good idea, acrown of frosted oak leaves!

Beth - How nice to meet you!I'm sure you're right about the frost, I've never really questioned it. I know that there are different types of frost, such as a hoar frost which is very thick.
Did you love Ireland?It's a place where the magic bubbles up everywhere. . .

rivergardenstudio said...

I am so glad your house is warm again and quiet and the helpful plumbers have left. Your home is absolutely lovely, and I love the bird shots more than anything! Roxanne

Chris said...

brrr. I'm glad to hear you are warm again and the chaos is gone. It looks like you found wonderful places to explore when you were out and about. I always enjoy your beautiful photography.

Arija said...

Those frosted oak leaves are so beautiful I could eat them up! All your pics are wonderful. I adore Mr.Frosr, he shows style and grace in his painting technique.
You have had a mexed bag of it lately with a wondeful workshop and broken heating system without male pupport no less. Well done with coping with tradesmen no matter how nice. Meetings with old friends... at least you were anything but bored.
We on the other hand have been at last blessed with rain.

annette emms said...

Roxanne - thank you. I was fascinated by those Cormorants, so eery seeing them appear out of the river mist and sitting so still, magic.

Chris - I did go walkabout quite a bit last week, It was definitely warmer outside than in!
It's so good to be snug as a bug in a rug again!


Arija -So pleased that the rain has come, I know how worried you were.
Our cold, bright, frosty days are bliss! I enjoy it so much more than endless grey skies and wet days. No doubt we'll get that too! x

Gwen Buchanan said...

Oh Oh Oh...the first pic and the cormorant wow...simply magical.. spellbinding actually!!

and little you of course.. sweet innocence...

So sorry to hear of the heating troubles... one thing always leads to another... domino effect... never fails.. but if all turns out well we quickly forget...

stay warm

annette emms said...

Gwen - Oh thank you my dear, those pictures were taken last Sunday morning. During the night my world had been magically transformed,so we just dropped everything and went out to play!Rowan learned to skate. . .
I did so appreciate coming home to a warm house!Blessings to you.