Tuesday, 4 November 2008

Winter Nights


I've been working on a wall hanging, using some of the techniques in Angie Hughes' book (see last post).
I've called it 'Winter Nights' and there's a quote from a poem by John Haines.
Do you recognise the owl?
It's the little cutie that I found at St. Veeps' church in Cornwall.


As my mind does it's usual 'butterfly thing' and flits around, finding tenuous connections....
I looked back at my pictures of Cornwall and found these, all from the delightful church at Lanteglos by Fowey.



Above, the Mohun girls, in brass circa 1508.



Carved wonders on Oak bench ends .(15th. century)


If you could picture this little church, down a winding lane, near the sea . . . go back to the 15th. century . . . . and it's full of craftsmen, working and talking, laughing perhaps as they fashion these weird and wonderful things.



I wonder, what would they make of our world?










9 comments:

Arija said...

Love your wall hanging'Little wol sits very happily threin. Those 15th. century carvings are a dear delight as well.

I've got myself into a bit of a rut/bind with having joined 4 memes on topics I really like and photograph anyway, but they take a great deal of time and my writing is suffering in consequence. I suppose life wasn't meant to be easy. Do I sound shockingly despondent? I suppose I am a bit.

Chris' Shady Grove said...

I love your theme for the wall hanging and I'm glad to see the owl make another appearance.

Danielle Barlow said...

What a wonderful blog you have - I'm so glad I found it! I love it ( and Rowan!)

annette emms said...

Arija - glad you think the owl's well placed!
You sound so busy, don't worry though,.... I have a plan.
Drop everything, make a cup of tea and drift off, . . somewhere wonderful, tell you what, I think I'll join you.x

Chris - thank you, he kind of forced his way in, I just couldn't refuse. . .

Danielle - how nice to meet you, thank you for your kind comment.
I see that you live on Dartmoor, how wonderful!
Please, do call again.

Jolly Good Yarn Girl said...

Hi Annette - I loved your talk at Wolverhampton Embroiderer's Guild yesterday - my eyes were indeed smiling at your work.
I said "hello" and that I was new to all of this - anyway I had to rush home and coffee dye some calico and make a card even though I was off to a posh dinner dance - my husbands eyes rolling heavenwards again!
I put the card on my blog this morning and shall definitely take it further - hopefully I can come to your workshop in 2 weeks. Thanks again! Clare x

annette emms said...

Clare - thank you. I really enjoyed my afternoon with Wolverhampton guild.

I can just imagine the scene in your kitchen!
The card you've made is great, such a lovely idea.
I enjoyed visiting your blog and I've put it on my blog list.
See you in a couple of weeks.

lynne h said...

annette, i recognized the owl right away! oh, i love him! and these carvings... what beauty... their lives (the carvers) must have been so very, very different than ours. what wonder they've carved here.

Heather said...

I love all the images you have on this post, and the magical world you create and share with us all. I have only just discovered your blog and it will be on my 'regular' list.

Gwen Buchanan said...

Annette. your wall hanging is so textural.. and subtle.. my favourite things!!!

Wow!! I love it...