Thursday, 13 November 2008

Pale green skin with brown spots.

Thought I'd better just say that the title of this post refers to a sick dragon, not me, although , there are those who would say 'And the difference is?'
Anyway, I asked Maud and she said it would be fine for us to have a peep in her book of Dragon Lore. . . . .


Maud also said to be sure to put the book back in it's hiding place when we've finished. . . .




*************************************************************************************

Changing the subject completely, Today was grey, wet and well, Novembery.
My lovely Mum caught the bus over to see me. She lives in Malvern, about 25 miles from here. Now my Mum is nearly 80 years old but she doesn't know, or perhaps I should say, she doesn't act like it. She is hilarious and keeps us all well amused and entertained.
Wherever she goes she has adventures, mostly caused by her 'hearing problem' (never suggest that she might be a bit deaf, unless you can run fast ). She will admit to being in 'early middle age' but definitely not elderly or heaven forbid OLD.
Mum lives life to the full, walks miles, swims regularly , cooks like a dream and we all love her to pieces.
I just wanted to shout out loud 'I LOVE YOU MUM!'
I feel better now.
I drove mum home, late afternoon and took Rowan for a walk across the fields nearby.
Everything was grey and sodden, the rain was that fine misty drizzle that makes you cold inside and out , the fields were completely waterlogged, with little streams running down the hill.
Rowan loved it and so did I. She ran around with 'mad legs', charging up and down the streams splashing and skidding, finding imaginary mice in the grass and huge sticks in the hedges, joy!
All around the old oak trees were having a final flourish of colour before the next winds take their leaves and the rooks , about 30 of them were holding their parliament, noisily in the highest branches.I loved it all.
It was growing dark as I got back to Mum's, there she was in the doorway smiling at me. (well I did have wellies, waterproof trousers, old wax jacket and Mikes fishing hat on. . .)

So, if I was making a gratitude list, My lovely Mum would be right there, at the top.

18 comments:

celtgirl68 said...

I just stumbled across your blog last night and I am entirely enchanted with it. Living on the west coast of Canada, all these English walks and woods look very magical to me. Not to mention the tea and cakes.

I would love to take your fairy shoe workshop, but, alas, my husband feels England is a wee bit far to go for a workshop- I don't suppose you ever run on-line courses, do you?

Jolly Good Yarn Girl said...

Those littlle shoes in the book are just delicious.
The reason for your big gap at the bottom of your post is because you have all those lovely Blogs on your Blogroll on the left hand side. To avoid the gap you need to write more or post more pictures (she said selfishly) for us to ogle! xx

Susan D said...

You've probably got the gap because you've put returns in when you typed. (You know when you get to the end of a paragraph) The blogroll doesn't make any difference to a post. You just need to delete any that are at the end of your post, hope that helps.

Arija said...

After reading that, I love your mum too. Do give her my love when you see or talk to her.
It was great to compare the regional differences of dragons. Maud's dragon was pale green with brown spots. Our's was a lurid green with purple spots and was a norther European variety. Spots seem to be in the genes of the species.
So glad Rowas and friend enjoyed their walk.

Arija said...

Back again. To remove the long space , go down with the little arrow and back space. If that does not work, type a letter in the blank spaces and back space one line at a time. The space is created by double clicking while you set up your post and the jolly computer keeps remembering. I have learned to be very careful to keep my double tapping finger off the mouse pad.

annette emms said...

celtgirl -thank you so much. I'm really pleased you called.
I admit, I can see your husband's point of view! I'll give some thought to online classes. Oh no! More technical stuff to get my poor addled brain around. . . . .

jollygoodyarngirl- so kind! and thanks for the tip.
I read your latest post, you gave me a really good laugh, bless you!

Susan - thanks, that worked!.

Arija - Mum says hi too!
As for the dragons, I reckon climate is definitely a contributory factor!

paulahewitt said...

oh - i enjoyed looking through your book - thankyou.
and of course you didnt have to shout out loud because of your mums little 'hearing problem' did you? she sounds great. when i was scanning through i read about your mum and skipped to running around on mad legs and thought for a moment you meant your mum not rowan :)

Jo said...

Annette, you are so blessed to have a wonderful mum...
I could see that smile she gave you, from here :)
Beautiful, beautiful Dragon book...too.

annette emms said...

Paula - you are most welcome,I always enjoy your comments, as I do reading your super blog.
It could easily have been Mum with the 'mad legs', but not on this occasion, she was busy climbing on a box, trying to get the cat down out of the airing cupboard. . . .
don't know who wears me out more, Mum, Rowan or Phoebe. . . .

Jo - yes, that's true and I do try to show how much I appreciate her, she's been there for me every moment and every step of the way.
I'm trying to persuade her to move nearer to us , trouble is , she thinks we'll cramp her style!

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

Having a parent who is in love with life is such a marvelous gift for a child. Good for your Mom!

And I love the book of Dragon Lore. It looks like something one would find in a hollow tree in dark forest.

lynne h said...

my dear annette, i'm so glad that maud let us have a peek inside her book of dragon lore. i can *see* why she wants to make sure it gets put back properly -- it's priceless. i would surely love to gaze at its pages closely, and feel their textures too... i feel sure that the mysteries of the dragon world (and probably the world at large) would be solved for me.

your mum sounds absolutely lovely... thank you for sharing her. and also your walk with rowan. i can see it in my mind's eye...

xxoo

Heather said...

Do thank Maud for allowing us to see her book of Dragon Lore - it is exquisite as is the Legend of the Mordiford Dragon. I love making fabric books too but don't 'do' exquisite I'm sorry to say! I also love Peaseblossom's boots - I'd like a pair myself but don't think they would look so good in a size 8. I'm glad you have a lovely Mum - I have too and she was 100 in February this year.

queenlint1 said...

Ah.

Annette.

My god girlfriend. You are gifted with an exceptional eye and a muse of letters at your disposal.

I am awed at your life observances, your acceptance and love of the natural order of life and your creativity.

I covet your mother. And your creativity.

Blessings,
Dina

sharon young said...

What a lovely ode to your Mum!
And a gorgeous peek into the dragon book.
Thank you for putting a smile on my face on yet another awful November day.

annette emms said...

Pamela - yes, my family are lucky to have Mum and we do try to show our appreciation.
As for the book, why, I think that must be where I found it . . . .

Lynne - yes, Maud is one fussy fey, but I love her.
Hope you had a good laugh when you saw me and Rowan in your mind's eye! Oh boy were we wet!

Heather - thank you so much for all your lovely comments.
Maud was thrilled that you came.

Dina - sweet girl, you are too kind!I'm blushing here . . .
Mum says 'Is it warm where Dina lives?' I think she wants you to adopt her for the winter. . .x

Sharon - bless you yet again for your kind words.

rivergardenstudio said...

Ohh...what a beautiful little dragon book...so entrancing, and the story of your mum! I can feel your love and gratitude for her! Roxanne

Gwen Buchanan said...

thank you so much for sharing this book .. You mum is a treasure.. You are a lucky one...

Kellipy said...

Hello Annete!what a wonderfull book and fantastic peaseblossoms shoes!I am from Greece and i'd like a pair myself is that possible? thank you very much ;-)