Thursday, 7 August 2008

A day with friends and a bit of church crawling.

I confess, I've been loitering in churchyards again, seems I can't get out of the habit. . .
But first I met a group of friends and we had a long, long lunch. We haven't been able to meet much this year, for one reason or another, so it was really good to see the girls again.
We chatted and sympathized and planned an exhibition for next summer. We shared our new work with each other and discussed ideas, these days are so inspiring.

On the way home I thought, hmm, Beckford church is just over there. . and I'm glad I did because I had forgotten how weird and wonderful it is. It has a history going back a thousand years and it also has this charming creature (below). He's carved into the chancel arch about half way up and I love him.
There are funny little carved faces peeping out of nooks and crannies all over the place. Lots of pattern and strange leaning arches.
I did a quick sketch of my little centaur creature and a print, which I'll have to do again because I forgot his spear.


The fair maiden below marks an anonymous grave, the wind and rain have done their work on the writing.






11 comments:

lynne h said...

oh i love that centaur-- and your drawings of it. i think you've captured it perfectly. now isn't it something that there's a *centaur* in a church?! i always wonder who put these things there and why. and i love that they did...

Annette said...

Lynne - thanks, these strange carvings always make me smile and I try to imagine the craftsman, doing his work and thinking 'I'll just put a centaur here, while no-one's looking!'

Gwen Buchanan said...

Details, designs, steel and stone... this is truly an inspirational place Annette..

I can hardly imagine the history that is around every corner in your exquisite isle...
Thank you so much... I enjoyed this...

sharon young said...

You certainly do find the most inspirational places, Annette, and your sketch of the centaur is full of character.

Jackie said...

Have you ever been to Kilpeck church in Herefordshire?
I know you would love it. I love this post.

Arija said...

Annette how lovely, I too love old churchyards and chapels. When my son lived in Hammersmith right next to the bridge we walked along the embankment and in a tiny cemetery there I discovered Hogarth's grave. One of our Profs. was a Hogarth expert, hence the tear in the eye as we struggled to dislodge the saplings shifting the symmetry of his resting place.

Odd sort of certaur with horns, more like a Pan cross. If only I could fly, I'd be right there with you.

lynne h said...

lol! yes, i think it went something like that!

Robyn said...

The charming creature got an oooh out of me and the little patch of pattern got an aaah.

Annette said...

Gwen - Thank you, your comments are always so encouraging.

Sharon - Hi! Weird little chap isn't he?!

Jackie - Thanks and yes, yes, yes. I love Kilpeck church!
My ancestors on my mum's side came from this area,many generations of farmers.
I am called back over and over to this special place.Just think, tales of castles,Norman Knights, hidden passages and a church unlike any other, who could resist!
One of the talks I do for the Guild is called 'Gargoyles, Ghosts and Gravestones'and I indulge my Kilpeck mania there.

Arija - Thank you so much, I didn't know about Hogarth's grave and now I need to see it as well as Highgate.Have you been there? I hear it is amazing.
About the 'centaur',my little chap isn't a half horse half man, but what on earth do we call a weird dude like this one?I'd love to know what was in the craftsman's mind!

Annette said...

Robyn - I do like a good oooh and aaah! Isn't it wonderful that we get such pleasure from these things.

Jo Horswill said...

Glad you are "loitering In churchyards again" Annette...you can't imagine how much I appreciate that you do! Yes you have captured this centaur like creature beautifully, he is just lovely.
Love all the iron work!