Friday, 25 July 2008

A pot of tea and King Arthur.(A Walk around Glastonbury part 2)

Sorry about the delay, I was enjoying my tea so much. . . We'll get going again now, on down the hill into the town of Glastonbury.
I had to smile at this door knocker on a little cottage at the bottom of Wick Hollow.

As we walk down the main street, the church is on the right, it's well worth a visit but I think it's going to rain so we'd better press on.

There are lots of unusual shops here, one called 'The Goddess and the Green Man', another where the modern day witch can find all that she needs. It's such a vibrant place with lots of colourful characters milling around and the book shops are unlike any you ever saw!

Glastonbury has to be one of the most dog friendly places I've ever been.(Which is good, because I think we've got at least five dogs with us now!) Most of the shops, cafes and the Abbey welcome them.
The Abbey is set in lovely grounds, right in the centre of town. There's a small museum where we can see a model of what the Abbey looked like .There has been a church on this site since the 7th. century.

We can wander leisurely through and around the ruins .
This is part of the Holy Thorn tree, which legend says was brought here by Joseph of Arimathea, when he visited Glastonbury with the boy Jesus.


We'll have a look at the statue of Sigeric, a monk at the Abbey in the 10th. century.


The shapes and patterns are intriguing.
I love the way nature reclaims old buildings.

On my bookshelf, I have an old, old book called 'The Romance of our Ancient Churches', published in 1898. There's a passage in it about how these buildings age .

'Externally, dove-coloured tones were given to the masonry by the winds and rains, velvety mosses and discs of lichens, orange coloured, sea gray and pale green appeared upon it and spread themselves; edges and angles softened and rounded; thresholds became worn with footsteps and tiny wildings sowed themselves in interstices out of reach. .'

I love those words and doesn't 'wildings' sound so much more charming than 'weeds'?
Here in the centre of the buildings we find a sign telling of King Arthur and his Queen.

I am fascinated by the Arthurian legends, the mixture of romance, chivalry, intrigue; and history weaving its way through them all. Deep sighs. . .

Time, I think for a pot of tea. Please join me, Mike and Mistress Alice; scones anyone?

Mistress Alice is a living history presenter, a thespian and a lady of great humour. She had us in hysterics as she told us about the strange 'goings on' she encountered whilst going about her business; all told in the lovely Somerset accent and with the sweetest smile on her dear face.


It's been quite a long day, so we'll stroll down to the other end of the Abbey grounds, to have a last peep at the tor.
It's definately going to rain, so the tor and the Chalice Well will have to wait for another day.
Hope you enjoyed the walk.
Sleep tight.

12 comments:

Jo Horswill said...

Do they sell wishing powder in "The Goddess & The Green Man"? because I need one Annette!

The shapes in the Abbey are absolutely intriguing! They almost have a Indian/Turkish/Morroccan feel to them.

And I here by dub all my weeds in the garden "Wildings"


Thank Annette for the day, because you have certainly, once again made mine. :)

rivergardenstudio said...

What a wonderful post! I too love the door knocker... and the arches and nature reclaiming her territory. How very beautiful! Roxanne

Gwen Buchanan said...

Annnette, I loved this jaunt today.. yes and we can't go anywhere without the hounds... lots of investigating for them to do!!

The magnificant arches and details of the stone carvings would intrique me for ages... and I think I would end up lagging behind when we viewed these.. The aging process that you quoted was so perfect... and now that I have "wildings" in my garden I feel much better...I think I'll keep them.

Thanks for the spot of tea and wandering!! I'm refreshed and inspired!!!

Homeleightigger said...

Your photos are wonderful Annette, and so inspirational. Thanks for the company on the walk! Val

Annette said...

Jo, Roxanne, Gwen, Val - Thanks, I really enjoyed your company!

Robyn said...

Darn! I knew we should have gone to Glastonbury. There just wasn't enough time. I love the ancient churches reclaimed by nature...so beautiful, and the old trees and the story about the whittler of dreams. How wonderful is that?

Guillaume said...

Magnificent pictures. I need to go to Glastonbury some day. I studied Arthurian literature and I am trying to visit as many legendary places as I can.

Guillaume said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Carol Stocker said...

Annette, I just love how you write! I feel like I'm right there with you; seeing all the sites and having tea! You are truly special and I am awarding you with a Wylde Women Award. Check out my blog for the details! Hugs, Carol

Annette said...

Robyn - thank you, pleased that you came!

Guillaume - Thank you, yes you must go to Glastonbury, it's very special. In September I'm going to do some more research into the Arthurian legend, we're going to St. Sampson in Golant, in Cornwall. It's the setting for some of the legend of Tristram and Isolde.Should be fun.

Carol - thank you, I am honoured to receive the award, especially from you my friend. I feel wylde already!

sharon young said...

Once again, a lovely reminder of a very special place, I have pics like these in my inspirational files too, the architectural patterns are awe inspiring.

Arija said...

I too love Merlin, Arthur et al and in days when aeroplanes were not th bane of my ailing heart, have wandered the old ruins shard by lovely English primroses and daisies in the lawns, grieved at the loss of the holy relics of the tomb and gloried in the stormy Cornish coast with all it's romantic associations.Thank you so much for refreshing my memories.