Wednesday, 2 July 2008

The postman brought me an invitation today, to a new exhibition by two artists in the Campden Gallery, at Chipping Campden, a small Cotswold town, not far from here. (You can download the catalogue from the link above.)

The picture above left is by Bohuslav Barlow , who's group of oil paintings is called 'The Garden of Wasted Things', after the poem 'Magpie' by Robert S Warshaw. (I'll put the poem at the end of this post.)
At first I thought the pictures were dark and strange, but after reading the poem which is beautifully sad, I think they are dark and strange but fascinating and very thought provoking.

The other artist is a sculptor, Christopher Gornall. The picture below is a piece called 'Girl Meditating' and she has held me spellbound all day. . . What do you think?



I'm hoping to go and see the exhibition next week with a friend, no doubt we'll pop across the road to the Bantam Tearoom for something terribly fattening to eat. It can be hard work enjoying yourself.

'The Winter Flag'

'The Magpie' by Robert S Warshaw 1933

I walked one day in the Garden of Wasted Things,

And there I found the bitter ghosts of all that had been spent unwisely,

Or lost through brutal circumstance.

I found the childhood

That some labourer's child had never known;

I found the youth that some young man had squandered;

There I found some poet's genius that had gone unrecognised.

I saw the ghost of idle words and small talk,

That men had used to waste away the hours.

I saw the hopes that had been smothered,

And all the dreams that never had come true,

And laughter that had died for lack of bread.

I met with all the lives that had been misdirected,

And spoke with dreary shades

of loves that might have been,

And songs that never had been sung,

I met with all these ghosts,

And many more;

And each of them

Sat silently in the shadows,

Brooding over quirks of mad Creation,

And puppet's dreams.

5 comments:

Jo Horswill said...

Deepest breath, after reading
"The Magpie"...Thank you Annette, for sharing this oh so moving poem...and artwork. Please do have something fattening to eat!!!
I might even join you, from across the globe!

Annette said...

Jo - Thank you. Mine's a fresh cream apple turnover. What do you fancy?

Mibsy said...

Annette...I'll be there for the fresh cream apple turnover!

Robyn said...

I love Christpher Gornall's sculpture! Thanks so much for posting this and introducing me to a new sculptor. The exciting thing is I have actually been to Campden Gallery (on our last trip to the UK)

Annette said...

Mibsy - right ho honey, that's two apple turnovers, with a pot of tea of course.

Robyn - Fancy you knowing Campden Gallery! Did you know it used to be the most amazing needlework shop, until a few years ago?...And it has a ghost.. . .