Wednesday, 9 July 2008

Embellishing






My poor embellishing machine has been not been used much since I bought it about a year ago, but I've been playing lately and I've realised that it has potential.

I am experimenting, which is fun of course, but as usual I keep going off at a tangent, thinking could I use this?, what will that do?Then I guess that is the nature of an experiment.

The two pictures above are book covers, one for my Skillywidden book and the other for a new sketch book.
Both are made by felting torn strips of cloth into a velvet background. I've also done some hand and machine stitching.
The sketch book cover was made with fabric from an old and much loved Indian cotton skirt.
It had lots of panels, each in a different pattern. I nearly couldn't bring myself to rip it up, but it was old and nearly threadbare in places.
Me and that skirt have been together for a long time, it was hard to do, but I love the colours and it will travel with me again , in the form of a sketch book, which feels O.K.
The mermaid piece is for a book I'm making for Phoebe(my granddaughter), so that we can write down all the songs we like to sing together and our favourite stories.

.I'm not sure what I will do with the last piece. I think I'll just say it's a work in progress, until inspiration strikes.

8 comments:

Carol Stocker said...

These are beautiful Annette! You amaze me with your whimsical talent and "experiemental" attitude. Great pieces! Hugs, Carol

Mibsy said...

Such wonderful colors! now I have to figure out what a "skillywidden" book is!

rivergardenstudio said...

These embellishments are lovely. Wow, what beautiful book covers they will make! Roxanne

Annette said...

Carol - thank you honey, if only there were more hours in the day!

Mibsy - yes, very funny!Just promise you won't go into a shop and ask for a skillywidden book, you might get the men in their white coats coming to get you. . .(In case you weren't joking, I should have referred to my post on the 6th. June 'The story of Skillywidden')

Roxanne- thank you, I just wish my sketch books pages looked like yours do!

Ro Bruhn said...

Ohhhh this work just sings to me, I adore the second piece, it's beautiful, the colours are marvellous.
Thanks for your comments and yes I would love to come to the UK to teach, I could catch up with my relos. Maybe one day.

Jo Horswill said...

Annette, these pieces are really beautiful. So happy just to daze at them...

sharon young said...

Lovely, lovely, happy pieces, Annette , and I just love the idea of a song /story book for your GD.
The last piece is brilliant too.

Jacky said...

This book for your Grand Daughter is truly beautiful.
Just found your blog through Ro Bruhn and love your textile art!