Tuesday, 17 June 2008

Old churches and trees.

I have this passion for old churches and ancient trees. Of course, if you're lucky you get two for the price of one.
I love my church forays, they really are treasure houses full of history and my work is often inspired by these visits.
This is the lovely St. John the Baptist church at Ashbrittle in Somerset., and next to it an amazing old tree.

It's incredible to think that this has been a
sacred place for more than 3000 years.



We were staying near the charmingly named village of Wiveliscombe,where there were lots of super places to walk.
This footpath was a few yards from our door,
I wish it was at the bottom of my garden., but
then I'd probably worry about flooding. . .









Not far away is the village of Kittisford where I found this memorial stone. Ann Bonham, wife of Thomas Strangways,Poor lady!


7 comments:

coral-seas said...

Hi Annette, I have just found your blog via a link on another site. I'm very excited to see that you are blogging. We met at Oxford when you taught a fairy shoe workshop; we had such a lovely day.

CA

Mibsy said...

Beautiful old church and magnificent tree! I hope to post some churches and trees soon, but none will be this old! not even remotely!

Jo Horswill said...

Hello Annette, thank-you for your really lovely comments about my blog. How wonderful to visit yours, from the other side of the world, your work is superb. Wonderful photo's too, regards Jo

Ro Bruhn said...

Hi Annette, I too have just discovered your blog. I love your work. Your fairy shoes are divine. I love old English churches and their yards, especially when the daffodils are out. I originate from England so these photos are very nostalgic.

Barbara said...

Hi Annette
I too have just discovered your blog. I love your work - the fairy shoes are delightful. I made a pair from your article in Stitch nr. 50 and will be making more!
Barbara in Holland

Annette said...

Ro. Thank you so much. This is great, I really thought I was almost alone in my church crawling habits!


Barbara. You're very kind, thank you. I'd love to see your shoes.Perhaps you could email a photo?Do visit again.

catworx said...

Your pix of the church and headstones are wonderful, Annette! What a delight to visit these sites in person!!

Cat