Monday, 30 June 2008

Image transfer using Emulsion paint

One of the ladies I met in Chester told me about another way to transfer an image onto fabric.
The great thing is it's relatively cheap to do and gives great results, showing all the details , so it almost looks 3D.
I like the fact that the image is matt and doesn't have a plastic finish.

You need Emulsion paint, it has to be the good quality stuff ( Cheapo won't work I'm afraid ), so I would suggest trying one of those little sample pots first.
My experiments with this method have all been with black and white photocopies , onto calico.

This is so easy. . .
  • Cover the work surface with a flat sheet of polythene.Place your fabric on top of polythene.
  • Spread a thin coat of paint over the fabric, to cover an area big enough for your image.
  • Place photocopy face down onto paint and brayer the surface to get good contact between the image and the painted fabric.
  • Leave to dry, overnight if poss., but if you're impatient like me, get the hairdryer on the job. The paint must be completely dry.
  • When dry, wet the surface of the photocopy with a sponge and then gently scrape away the paper. Try using one of those plastic scouring pads. I was a bit enthusiastic with the first sample, but I quite like the distressed look.

For the second sample I made a collage using torn images of flowers (above), which I then photocopied.
When the transferred image was dry, I gave it a light wash of colour.

It seems to be quite easy to stitch into this surface, so the possibilities are endless. I'd be really interested to know if you've tried this and what sort of results you get.

10 comments:

Susan D said...

Thanks for the quick tutorial. I'm busy with the end of my OU photography course but I'll give it a go soon and let you know how I get on.

quiltchick said...

Hi Annette, I have come to you from Vals blog. I haven't rried image transfer using emulsion but I will now! I really like the flower collage piece, it's got a lovely aged effect.

Jo Horswill said...

Thanks Annette, for such an informative post. I like your results, the flower colage is fantastic!!! You have certainly inspired me.

Quirky said...

tytyty Ill be trying this soon!

Mibsy said...

This is certainly beautiful work that you do, I have never tried it but I love looking and appreciating what creative people can do.

Homeleightigger said...

WOW Annette - this looks amazing! Thanks for sharing - I will definitely have a go! Val

dot said...

ditto on Val's comment, a BnQ visit's in order i think! Thank You, Dot

sharon young said...

Thanks for the tip, I'll give this a go, as I've tried Image maker (I think it's called that) which uses the same process but is horrible to stitch, so this maybe a much better option. I love the really distressed image at the top of the page.

Annette said...

Thank you ladies, do let me have a peep at your results!Kind regards.

Rohan Sinha said...

I was simply dying for some useful information about Tractor Emulsion and found the same in your blog. Simply great stuff! I have forwarded your blog link to some of my friends as well. Hope you will keep writing such write-ups in the future as well.