Thursday, 29 May 2008

Knot garden in the rain


Well, I know it's not surprising,we had a holiday weekend and it rained, again.




We visited Greys Court, a National Trust property near Henley on Thames in Oxford shire. The property goes back to medieval times and has the prettiest gardens, arranged in sort of 'outdoor rooms', each bordered with lovely old walls.








This picture shows part of the 'Knot garden'.
They were ornamental gardens from Elizabethan times.


The little hedges,made of Box or sometimes fragrant Lavender, were planted in intricate patterns.
There is a fabulous book called 'Embroidered Knot Gardens' by Owen Davies and Gill Holdsworth.
Lots of inspiration for making miniature embroidered gardens! There are even instructions for making tiny water features in fabric and stitch.







I know I must be mad but because of the rain, we had the gardens to ourselves and I got to play with my new camera without feeling too self conscious. . . then we went into the little tea rooms and had a Cream Tea (scones, jam and clotted cream), forbidden food but I ate it quickly!

Later, we went to the local church. I love exploring old churches, they are so full of history and interesting bits and pieces.

This is the tomb of Sir Francis Knollys and his wife who lived at Greys Court in Elizabethan times.



1 comment:

Robyn said...

I am so enjoying reading your blog. I love the British atmosphere. My moms side of the family come from Ashburton, Devon and my Dad's come from Scotland. Whenever I see photographs of Britain I feel very homesick even though I was born and have lived my whole life in South Africa.