Thursday, 29 May 2008

Johan's Angel



Last year I made a series of work for an exhibition. As I've said before I'm 'hooked' on old churches and the inspiration for these pieces came from visits to some beautiful little churches in Cornwall.
There's a church at Forrabury in North Cornwall, dedicated to the delightfully named St. Symphorian and the churchyard is full of interesting, lichen covered grave stones.
The sea is all around you and the air is so fresh (as one of the locals told me) 'It hasn't been breathed since it left America'.
I found my little angel on Johan Tubb's stone which dates back to 1624 . I love the 'just permed' hair.
These are some of the flowers I found on a lovely slate memorial to Jane Mellow, at Talland in south Cornwall.
I made the pages into a book which I called 'Cornish in Memoriam'.
My aim was to try to create a 'stone like' appearance for the background fabric.
I used plain calico onto which I mono printed the design. I then collaged various scraps of paper, rubbed gesso over the area and stitched the design using free machining.

The finishing touches were given by rubbing some areas with charcoal and applying just a little black fusible webbing.


2 comments:

Obe's said...

Hello,

I enjoyed your blog,and found it interesting that you did rubbings of stones, they are so pretty ,may I ask what you will do with them? Embroidery maybe? I love the old patterns I would never have thought of doing that.I enjoy going to old cemeteries myself.
Take care,
Diane
http://dianobe.blogspot.com/

Robyn said...

I love what you have done with these pieces. The stone like appearance is very beautiful. Cornwall happens to be one of my most favourite places in the world!